International conference “Oral History in Action”, Poland, Cracow, March 28-30, 2019
by Marta Kurkowska-Budzan
Call for Papers
Polish Oral History Association (PTHM), established in 2009 in Krakow, brings together people and the circles that use oral history in their work in various areas of academic, cultural or social life. On the occasion of the 10th anniversary of the POHA, together with the Institute of History of the Jagiellonian University in Krakow and the Wrocław “Remembrance and Future” Centre, we would like to invite you to take part in the international conference Oral History in Action, that will take place in Krakow on 28-30 March 2019.
The history of oral history started from practise of first recorded interviews. Therefore, oral history, like no other branch of the humanities, is intrinsically linked to social, civic or interpersonal engagement of an oral historian and oral history itself. Because of that we would like to pose a question whether oral history do (or should do) change social reality: for good or for bad, intentionally or accidentally? Reflection about that engagement, its characteristics, problems and consequences, especially in countries of Central and Eastern Europe, is located in the centre of the conference’s topic. Profiting from the transdisciplinary character of oral history, we hope that our meeting in Krakow will create a space for confrontation and discussion about different approaches to oral history presented by the academia, museums and other cultural institutions, or by NGOs. We are convinced that this multitude character of oral history in historiography, sociology, anthropology, psychology etc., as well as in our contemporary (digital) culture and public life, is both the biggest chance and main challenge for oral historians and their discipline.
We are seeking for papers reflecting oral history as an activity and considering its consequences, touching at least one of the following topics:
· oral history in contemporary social sciences and humanities: innovative projects and approaches, interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary character as an epistemological challenge;
· practical and conceptual challenges of doing oral history in minority groups (e.g. discriminated, advanced aged etc.)
· oral history as a public history: local, national and international level;
· oral history and politics, or political dimension of practising and promoting oral history;
· oral history as a tool of intentional social change vs. researcher’s neutrality: epistemological and ethical dilemmas;
· oral history as a formof social and communal activity;
· oral history as a form of therapy;
· place of oral history in theory and practise of contemporary museums and NGOs;
· interviewees in the education projects: aims, forms and limits of engagement;
· new media and oral history: usage and abusage of memories in the Internet;
· legal problems of doing oral history
To apply with a paper please send an abstract in English (approx. 300 words) along with your presentation title and your short bio to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for submissions: 30 November 2018
The list of the chosen participants will be announced on 20 December 2018.
There is no fee for taking part in the conference. Chosen texts will be published in peer-reviewed journal “Wrocław Yearbook of Oral History”(https://wrhm.pl/wrhm/about).
Polish Oral History Association
Institute of History, Jagiellonian University in Krakow
The “Remembrance and Future” Centre in Wrocław
Fundacja “Dobra Wola”
The honorary committee:
Zbigniew Gluza (The Karta Center in Warsaw)
Professor Kaja Kaźmierska (Institute of Sociology, University of Łódź)
Dr hab. Grażyna Kubica-Heller (Institute of Sociology, Jagiellonian University in Krakow)
Dr Wojciech Kucharski (The “Remembrance and Future” Centre in Wroclaw)
Tomasz Pietrasiewicz (The “Grodzka Gate ‐ NN Theatre” Centre in Lublin)
Organising committee members:
Katarzyna Bock-Matuszyk, Alina Doboszewska, Jakub Gałęziowski, Marcin Jarząbek, Dobrochna Kałwa, Wiktoria Kudela-Świątek, Agata Stolarz, Karolina Żłobecka￼